The microwave capacitor is the component inside of the microwave oven that stores all the energy for the magnetron. This can get very hot (over 200°C), and if you are not careful, can easily be a fire hazard. In the event of a fire, the capacitor can explode, and you may lose your fingers in the process.
Microwave ovens are one of the most commonly used kitchen appliances. Most people use them once a day, maybe twice. It’s amazing that they are so common, yet they are still one of the most dangerous home appliances available.
This article is here to help people better understand the microwave capacitor. It’s important that you fully understand how these capacitors work before you try to do anything to them.
How to discharge a microwave capacitor safely
Watch a quick video below.
Here are some simple steps that you can follow to discharge a microwave capacitor safely.
Remove the appliance from the socket
Don’t leave the appliance connected to the socket, as it can be a dangerous situation if the appliance is plugged in and you forget to disconnect it. So, once the appliance is not in use you should remove it from the socket.
Make sure that the appliance is turned off
To make sure that the appliance is switched off, you should open the door of the oven or refrigerator and check whether the light on the switch is off. If you don’t find any switch then you should use an inverter to turn off the appliance.
Make sure that there is no electricity flowing through the appliance
Once the appliance is off, don’t touch anything in the socket. Remove the fuse from the socket and close the door of the refrigerator or oven. It is recommended to use a voltage detector to make sure that the electricity has been removed from the socket.
Keep it away from children and pets
Always keep the appliance away from children and pets, as they can be harmed by microwave radiation. So, you should place the microwave oven in a safe place.
Now, you know how to discharge a microwave capacitor safely. If you are still not sure about how to discharge a microwave capacitor safely then I would suggest you to visit any repair center or service provider and ask them for the same.